Building Pathways, the citb-funded project that inspires and supports under-represented groups into the construction industry, has partnered with specialist training provider Learning & Skills Solutions (LASS) to launch a new Traineeship programme, offering free pre-employment support, guidance, training and work experience, to low-skilled 19-24 year olds interested in a career in construction.
In collaboration with LASS and key industry employers this substantial programme will be tailored to each individual’s needs and elements offered include:
- Free CSCS training and card including Level 1 Certificate in Health and Safety
- Certified Functional Skills English and Maths up to GCSE levels for those who have no prior qualifications
- Employability skills – CV writing, interview techniques and soft skills needed in the workplace
- Work placements (including Dry lining, Carpentry, Painting & Decorating and Traffic Marshall/ Fire Marshall) leading to work on biggest construction sites in London, including Chelsea Barracks
- A free additional course of learner’s choice (including Traffic Marshall, Fire Marshall, PASMA, COT, First Aid, Asbestos Awareness)
The goal of the programme is to adequately prepare students for employment, in the form of a work placement or apprenticeship, which then enables them to embark on a successful construction career.
Philip Mills, Building Pathways Project Manager commented:
“Construction traineeships provide a stepping stone for people wanting to get into the industry. I look forward to working with Learning and Skills Solution and their employer partners to provide local people from different backgrounds an opportunity to develop their skills and gain work experience that hopefully leads into career opportunities in the industry.
About Building Pathways
Building Pathways works with employers and specialist organisations to inspire, support and enable individuals from under-represented groups to pursue careers in the UK construction industry. This is done by providing quality information, tailored advice and guidance, one to one mentoring, and access to training and employment opportunities. Click here for leaflet pdf
About Learning & Skills Solutions
Learning and Skills Solutions is a specialist training provider that provides tailored, flexible and free training programmes for young people and adults. Learning and Skills Solutions have been awarded the prestigious “Matrix” quality standard since December 2008, officially recognising our ability to offer information, advice and guidance. This award is now in place until 2021.